16 March 2010

light and dirt

This light in my stairwell was captured at 7:13 PM this evening!  Ahh.  It was bewildering for a moment, and then I just sat on the top step, and wrote happy thoughts in my journal.  
Although school has been inordinately busy lately, I have been finding so much joy in every aspect of my life.  I attribute this to the transitioning that's happening outside.  I spotted the first shoots of green in the ground today, and couldn't stop smiling.
I know, I know, I already wrote about the North Hills, but I keep going up there to walk, and it seems new and wonderful again every time.  The curving path along the golden hills is an endless source of peace right now.
 Is there anything quite so refreshing as the warm wind in your hair?

Don't mind the fuzziness of this picture, but I also am so excited about the project I'm working on.  I did some experiments this weekend, and had the newest version of my Sedimentary Layers watercolor turned into postcards.  I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out, so we'll see what happens next.

With all this excitement of warmer days and new life, I wanted to share this quote with you.  It's from a local collection of writing about agriculture, and there is a short essay included by Barbara Kingsolver.
"Recall that whatever lofty things you might accomplish today, you will do them only because you first ate something that grew out of the dirt."
Such a lovely reminder.

9 comments:

  1. Hello there. Thanks for dropping by my blog giving me a chance to discover yours.
    I really like your photographs and love the postcard!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! those are magnificent postcards!!! I'm a huge fan of Barbara Kingslover, really enjoyed AVM :)

    thanks also for your lovely comment! I'm going to very much enjoy following your blog too :) It's so nice to find like-minded souls in the wide world of blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top photo is so lovely! I can see why you were happy to see such light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the postcards! you should produce & sell! i would definately order a pack :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty cost cards!
    thanks for writing on my blog :) i feel people always look, but never comment!
    are your post cards for sale? maybe we can trade... soaked oatmeal cookies for post cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the warm wind in my hair is quite refreshing. I like the image you captured representing this feeling. The extended days are amazing. It's 7:15 pm here and still...there is light. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is beautiful. YOU are beautiful! thank you for your comment on my blog. We should be friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm loving the longer days too. the transition to spring is so refreshing. your new postcards are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that picture of your hair going wild in the wind with the snowy caps in the background... And your postcards look lovely - and tie in perfectly with the quote from Barbara Kingsolver. A wonderful reminder indeed.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!