17 March 2010

nests

 This is my current nest.
My big cozy bed is tucked into the corner of my room, under a slanted wall that is covered in pictures of loved ones, beautiful art, and inspiration.
I sleep here, read here, write here, snuggle here, chat here, brainstorm here, and on and on.
I've read that to sleep better, your bed should be restricted for sleep only, but this isn't just my bed, it's my nest!
---
My parents divorced when I graduated high school, so when I left home, the house was sold and the concept of "home" became more abstract.  I remember reading a quote by Margaret Mead about how she made wherever she was at the moment into her home, and I took that principle on with a fervor.  I did this with nests.  Some cozy place that is just for me, a special place for my thoughts.
---
As a child, I had several nests throughout the house, but my favorite was in the basement.  My parents, in an effort for more storage space, had rigged up a wooden platform to put miscellaneous things, like boxes of photos, fans, empty suitcases, etc.  I slowly accumulated sleeping bags, pillows and blankets and made myself a nest up there.  I even had a little bookshelf rigged out of shoeboxes.  I would curl up and read for hours and hours.
---
One of my favorite nests I've ever come across was that of a bear.  When bears sleep in tall grass, they flatten a little area to curl up in.  While working in Glacier National Park, three amazing women and I set out to climb Dancing Lady Mountain, with the aim of dancing on the summit.  We achieved the goal, and the dancing was glorious.  On the way back, we got lost, and kept coming across bear nests.  This surely isn't the technical term, but that's what they looked like.  One of my friends curled up in one, and I so wish I had a picture, because it was beautiful.  There was something primal about it, like a return to the Mother or something.  It was an ultimate nest.  But then she declared she could smell the bear, and it had begun to get dark, and we got scared, and we found our way out.
---
Where have you found space for your nests?  Are they wonderful?  I hope so.

Oh, also, thanks so much for the lovely comments about my postcards!  They meant so much to me.  I'll be unveiling the outcome of the project I'm working on in... 20 days!  Stay tuned.

9 comments:

  1. loved this post :) my parents didn't get divorced but we moved from the home I grew up in in high school. it had such an impact on me and I've never felt at "home" in a space since. I mean I have a "home" but we move so much it has yet to become my "nest." I just love the idea... must work on my nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea to write about nests. I feel like my bed is my nest, but I have been dreaming of a wee book corner full of pillows to plop down in and read as the hours pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. After visiting me I felt the courtesy to drop in. What a lovely nest? I am curious though, given all that you do in your nest, does it affect your sleep or not. I feel sure it would affect mine. I was very intrigued with Dancing Lady Mountain; that sounds totally mad and free and joyous. Amazing. Believe it or not, I feel the most comfortable in my kitchen working; as I work my mind ticks over and transports all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our little apartment is definitely my nest, but I also carve out little nest spaces wherever I go. My parents divorced when I was young and with their marriage went our little bungalow in our child-filled neighborhood, vegetable garden and all. I still think of that particular house as a symbol of home. It was a great space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i call my home a nest! nesting is such a necessity, mine allows me to create, gather thoughts, and gives me that warm feeling that is hard to find anywhere else! add a few furry companions and i'm the happiest gal around...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a wonderful post..! I love the image of you as a little girl making a nest out of pillows and sleeping bags on that platform in the basement...

    As a kid, I definitely built tons of nests, both inside (with pillows and blankets and chairs) and outside (with branches, and twigs and leaves)... We moved around a lot, so I never thought of home as my nest... In some ways, my grandmother was my nest, if that makes sense - because she was home, to me.

    As an adult, I can definitely say that our home is now my nest - it's where I feel most comfortable, where I read, and listen, and dream, and live... It's where I can be me.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a sweet post.. i live in a little bitty attic and my bed looks to be in the same place as yours! except the ceiling is only 6 feet tall.. we even have the same big white puffy comforter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!