02 March 2010

pathways

 
[film, april 2009]
Today, walking my usual route to class, I thought about pathways and how many we overlap or cross wherever we go.  Sunday night, I applied for some exciting jobs in Antarctica, a place where most of the continent has never had any human footsteps tread upon it.  It's fascinating to think about, how many people have walked where you are walking right now, and how many times you will walk that path, and what was here before there was a path, and so on.  My Mother talked about this a couple years ago, and thought it would be fascinating to have some sort of technology that could map all the footsteps that had ever been taken.  Do you think the areas where you often walk would be completely covered?  Or would there be one little bare spot?  Or criss-crossing lines?  Or just one solid, beaten path?

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting thoughts. They have me wondering if all of my paths have been well-trod. I'm thinking of a diagonal rough desert path my sister and I carved out and used to run when we were late for our school bus. I bet we were two of the few who ever took that path. It would be pretty amazing to be the first to step onto untouched land...

    Have you seen Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World? If you are considering life in Antarctica, you should watch it. I really enjoyed it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encounters_at_the_End_of_the_World

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this photo...and how exciting to think of working in antarctica! i've often thought of my own personal map...what it would look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that personal map is a really interesting idea... although I would totally intentionally walk in patterns if I could see my own map from day to day...

    ps. check out my new blog ;)
    http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never thought these thoughts and I feel a little ashamed that I never have thought these thoughts. Going to think about these thoughts now. How interesting. You and your mom are deep thinkers. I need to stretch my brain cells. Always something thought provoking on your blog...love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!