11 April 2010

an act of finding

I set out for the North Hills yesterday afternoon to clear my mind.  It was an overcast and windy day, so I was hoping to have the fields to myself.  The only person I encountered was this man, who seemed to be walking for similar reasons.  I forget that a large camera swinging around my neck is rather conspicuous to others, and was caught off guard when he asked if I was out to "find some pictures."  It struck me that I often think of photography as actively going out and creating, rather than simply coming across something.  I decided to stop thinking about form/negative space/light/etc., and let the pictures find me.

10 comments:

  1. Hi! ;) thanks for commenting on my blog...loved your message. And so much fun to find someone from montana. i love your state.. i do. i do. & hope to go there again soon. If I tumble in there, we should meet. and if you're ever in california/SF area, don't hesitate to holler at me. you are more than welcome to stay in the barn with me. ;) xo. liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wise thing to decide. These are so so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I missed such lovely shots. What a spacious part of the world you have there? I like your concept of "letting the pictures find me". I shall pass that one onto my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful.. all of them are amazing. can i come visit and hang out with you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the photo with the birds. really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are excellent. I liked the way you explained how you let the pictures find you. That's a great understanding of what photography is.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!