25 May 2010

regrouping

Quite suddenly, all is calm.
The cousins and aunt flew out this morning and my roommate left for Mexico.
Quite suddenly, I have a blank calendar and a partially empty house, just for me.
I've noticed that when I'm crazy busy, I crave silence and solitude and free time, but once it's handed to me, I get restless.  Today I allowed myself to stew in all of the different emotions that were somewhat postponed from all the visiting and revelry.  But I need to make a schedule for myself, fast, otherwise I could stew all summer.  Tomorrow morning will involve lots of lists while I drink my peppermint tea.
Shari's post about mornings made me think a lot about how I can choose to structure my days, now that I have the flexibility.  Generally I limit myself with the "night owl" label, and stay up later than I want to.  But this morning when I drove everyone to the airport at 6am, the sun was just peeking over the mountains and the trees seemed alert and everything was quiet, and I had one of those moments.  You know the kind.
I have seven weeks before my summer job starts, so this is going to be my time.  It really feels like a gift to have such a stretch of time for myself.  
I'm going to brainstorm how I want this time of mine to take shape, and I'll be back very soon with the plan.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, beautifully written!
    that's always when you want to be alone you can`t and when you are alone it`s boring.
    thanks for comment!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You described that so perfectly. I love that you recognize that you need to be able to stew in different emotions. Lately, I've just been bottling mine up and trying to suppress them--facing them head on can seem so scary sometimes, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not a loner by any means, but sometimes being alone is a beautiful thing. It’s nice to sit in the silence of a beautiful morning, looking out a window with a hot cup of tea/coffee and attempting to think about nothing except that moment. I hope you enjoy these next 7 weeks before work starts!!! Fill it with plenty of fun adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's wonderful! I would love to have a stretch of time all to myself! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you will have some time for yourself. I love peppermint tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is a beautiful magic inside peaceful, quiet mornings. inside daybreak. cherish these quiet weeks. cherish the silence. discover something wonderful inside it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all need to stew in emotions..it's healthy. And I can't wait for the Plan!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!