This is a list of noises from an abundant summer afternoon, sitting on the porch with my eyes closed, the sunshine on my back like hot heavy hands. Just in case I forget these sounds while on the bottom of the earth, the least hospitable place on our planet.
- The nervous giggles of mourning doves as they hop back onto tree branches, just out of reach of whatever caught them off guard
- A speeding car of a hummingbird, revving past me in search of the brightest and sweetest
- Infantile groaning of goats down the hill, hot and hungry
- The soft sighs of Zoe's snores as she naps in the porch's shadows below me.
- Scurrying scratches of mating chipmunks; apparently the seemingly infinite population that raids my mother's garden is still not enough
- The hushed hum of wind hurrying through the tops of Ponderosa Pines
- The hideous squeaks of a disgruntled squirrel, its tail jerking wildly with every outburst.
- Bees slicing through the air, frantic with the endless bounty of purple, pink, orange, yellow possibilities