20 July 2010

this is a list of noises

This is a list of noises from an abundant summer afternoon, sitting on the porch with my eyes closed, the sunshine on my back like hot heavy hands.  Just in case I forget these sounds while on the bottom of the earth, the least hospitable place on our planet.

- The nervous giggles of mourning doves as they hop back onto tree branches, just out of reach of whatever caught them off guard

- A speeding car of a hummingbird, revving past me in search of the brightest and sweetest

- Infantile groaning of goats down the hill, hot and hungry

- The soft sighs of Zoe's snores as she naps in the porch's shadows below me.

- Scurrying scratches of mating chipmunks; apparently the seemingly infinite population that raids my mother's garden is still not enough

- The hushed hum of wind hurrying through the tops of Ponderosa Pines

- The hideous squeaks of a disgruntled squirrel, its tail jerking wildly with every outburst. 

- Bees slicing through the air, frantic with the endless bounty of purple, pink, orange, yellow possibilities

8 comments:

  1. Your summer sounds are the sounds of summer. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how lovely are those sounds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved reading this and just closing my eyes after each one to hear it in my thoughts. I also love the fact that you're in Montana. Found you via Antika Moda and following you now. Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw i love porch time and nature sounds! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful. i adore the way this is written.

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. isn't it amazing to tune in to the world around us? love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!