10 August 2010

taking off

So this it.
My last night before beginning the journey to Antarctica.  It's going to take me a week to get down to the ice, with an orientation in Denver, a long layover in LA, a 15 hour flight to New Zealand, another flight to the south island, crossing the international dateline, and a few days in Christchurch NZ, then one more flight to the ice.  Phew!  
Needless to say, I'm excited, I'm stressed, I'm overwhelmed, I'm giddy, and I'm probably not going to sleep much tonight.
Tonight felt like The Last Supper, which by the way was leftovers, and I took a tearful last walk up in the mountains with this beauteous dog.  Just look at those eyes!  I'm going to miss Zoe something fierce.  Not to mention the golds, greens, greys, and blues of Montana.  And everyone here.  And everyone on the East Coast.  And so on and so forth.

The past few days have gone by far too fast as I've tried to cram as much as possible into this short and sweet summer.
I've been:
snuggling with the doggies as much as possible,
soaking in the puddles of sunshine on the porch,
going to the farmers market one last time,
strolling around listening to new music,
 catching up with good friends with rad new tattoos,
pulling over in downtown missoula to give quick goodbye hugs,
watching good movies (i went and saw inception a second time - go see it!),
 mountain biking around lake como (which involved some good battle scars, a standoff with an angry mama bird, and a few too many curse words...),
eating favorite summer meals for the last time in a while,
and this is not a summer activity, but an unimaginable amount of packing.
I've (unwillingly) become a packing pro.  I even have a packing list detailing every last thing in each suitcase and backpack.  Gross, right?
So finally.  This is where I'm going.  One of my mother's friends who is down there right now posted this picture today of what it looks like right now.  Primarily dark, but the sun is on its way.  I get there two days before the sun officially rises, which is going to be unreal.
Honestly?  I feel like I'm going to the moon.
Here I go!
Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. ooh i love that tattoo! i hope you have a blast, and that you update frequently!! have fun xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an amazing time, Liz! (how could you not?) I'll be sending you a letter sometime in the next few weeks :-P (P.S. My friend loved the earrings I gave her, and I've gotten tons of compliments at work on the pair I kept! I tell everyone that awesome Liz made them and that she's going to Antarctica, hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you and this new journey. Wishing you the very best and looking forward to the photos you take once you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. exciting! sounds like you had a good (very full) couple of days...hope you've got some good books for your flights. have fun on your adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be amazing. Enjoy the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today I was thinking of you and thinking to myself that I kind of wish I was going with you...just to get away from the madness of some of the disfunctional people in my life that attach themselves to me...it would be quite the escape...but then again maybe some of these people need me...can't imagine what you will experience...what a cool gal you are! I admire your tumbleweediness!xxoo Be safe and happy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!