06 January 2012

play and sing good [or: happy new year, a week late]

Have you seen this?  It's Woody Guthrie's New Years Rulin's from 1943.  I love it so much.  Next year, my resolutions will look a lot more like this. 

Down here, the name of the game is safety.  There are safety presentations, safety lectures, safety committees, safety meetings.  At a recent safety meeting, (and don't ask me how these are related) we had to sit through a woman talking about her personal resolutions.  They were things like "be open" and "see more," which aren't bad ones, but she was essentially saying that she doesn't think people should make specific goals for themselves because those ones are black and white if you fail them.  So she recommended making these broad, nebulous goals.  Well, safety lady, I don't agree!
Here are my concrete goals for this year, and I plan to black and white accomplish them!

1. Publish a photograph or short piece of writing.  This can be in a newspaper, a magazine, some credible online format, etc.
2. Start making videos, a la this one.  I'm going to be roaming around in some pretty incredible scenery this year, so why not branch out creatively?
3. Fix up my resume so that it is really, really good.  Not crappy like it is now.
4. Hike to Everest base camp.  Our tickets are already purchased for Nepal, but I'm putting this here because it still feels like such an unattainable monolith of an adventure. 
5. Learn how to play a song on an instrument while singing it.  Eek!  Double whammy!  If I get confident, this will become a triple whammy, in that I have to perform it in front of someone(s).

There you have it, shmeeples.  It's official.

p.s. Check out our 2011 photo roundup over at Weird Birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!