17 February 2012

whale watching from bed



There haven't been many penguins this year, but the whales are everywhere.  The sea ice broke up again, revealing a vast swath of open water surrounding station.  I didn't see any whales last year, but this time around it seems that every time I peek out a window there are at least a couple whales spouting. 
The sun has finally gotten low again during the night hours, but rather than setting, it just slowly rolls along the horizon.  Two nights ago, as the sun was creeping behind Ob Hill, I glanced out the window and saw the spouts of whales being lit up by the pink and orange glow of the sun.  It was one of the most beautiful sights.  We also have been laying in our bed, watching them from our window.  These things become normal down here, but really - does it get any better than being able to whale watch from your bed??

2 comments:

  1. that last shot is so pretty - the colours are incredible! lucky you to be able to watch that from bed, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DIE. I absolutely die. These are incredible, lady.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!