28 May 2012

Catching Up: India No. 1






I mentioned a while ago that I wasn't quite ready to start talking about India in this space, but I've finally started exploring India through the written word, so I figured it was time to share a bit here too.  I'm still chewing on a lot of the things I felt while baking in the insanity of the subcontinent, but I can at least describe fragments of the sensory overload.  Here's a segment of what I wrote for our latest post at Weird Birds:
Other days we’d venture out, exploring the inner walls of the legendary Pink City, a title which we quickly learned wasn’t quite accurate, as everything was smothered with beige paint that left some to be desired.  We dashed around the creamy colored Hawa Mahal as snarl toothed monkeys with gnarled broken fingers chased us down ramps and pushed us upstairs out of their way.  We sought respite from the obliterating heat in an old coffee house, where I was begrudgingly allowed to sit with the men rather than in the dingy closets set aside for women.  We giggled as family after family insisted upon us posing for their photographs, their infants shoved into our arms.  While exploring the majestic Amer Fort, we marveled at painted elephants, shook our hips to traditional music, and found our own hidden hallways and towers to have a few moments alone.
K wrote a really moving piece about a lunch we shared with a Rajasthani family in Jaipur in that same post, so go check it out.  The pictures above haven't been shared anywhere else online yet, so kapow!  I'll try to get some more here soon, as the words come.

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING photos! Can't wait to hear more about your travels.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!