18 June 2012

home is where the heart is





There's a really interesting article on NPR right now featuring a man's project to photograph children around the world and the various sleeping arrangements they have.  It reminded me of a smaller scale project I've been doing since the new year: photographing every different place I sleep.

This might not sound very exciting, but since January 1, 2012, I have slept in 33 different places.  The 34th place will be tonight, at my aunt's house.  I've always been a person that needs a nest, a home, and when the travel bug bit me hard, I had to figure out how to reconcile the two.
"The world is full of homes in which I have lived for a day, a month, or much longer.  How much I care about a home is not measured by the length of time I lived there.  One night in a room with a leaping fire may mean more to me than many months in a room without a fireplace, a room in which my life has been paced less excitingly" - Margaret Mead
I came across this quote 7 years ago and realized I could make it work for me.  That in the right frame of mind, every place I came across could be my home when I needed it to be.  Although it can certainly be a homesickness-inducing challenge, it's become easier over time.  My Grandma asked me about how I deal with my need to have a cozy nest while traveling, and I told her that in a lot of ways my relationship with Kevin has become a nest.  With him by my side, even the quiet corner in the Delhi International Airport felt like home. 

So this year, I have attempted to photograph every single place that I have spent the night, be it a seat on an airplane, a bunk in a tea house along the Everest Base Camp trail, or a cozy guest room at a friend's house.  Here are a few of my favorites so far.  I plan on collecting them all somewhere on the internet at the end of the year.
  1. A Scott Tent at Lake Hoare in the McMurdo Dry Valleys - The date night of a lifetime.
  2. Our room in the fantastic house my parents rented in Kaikoura, New Zealand.  It felt like sleeping outside and we could hear the ocean's waves tumbling across the street.
  3.  The quietest corner we could find in the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi, India.  It wasn't very quiet.
  4. The smoky, electricity-challenged room in which we spent over a week in Kathmandu, Nepal.  We'd lay in bed listening to men shouting out the price of their wares from their bicycles and sip Commando Super Strong Beer on the balcony.

3 comments:

  1. I like this project, what an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this series is so neat. i think this is a great idea. i am very much the same as you...i need my own little nest to circle into at night. it helps me reflect on what happened during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this idea, and i honestly can't wait to see how the project goes! (that last shot makes me think 'home'...hmm...)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!