26 November 2012

a taste of my thanksgiving weekend










Hello, Friends!

I hope you all had a warm, cozy, and love-filled holiday weekend (for those of you stateside.  International friends, I hope you had a lovely regular weekend).  We had a small gathering in our little house, but it was perfect.  My brother came down, and my old friend Emmie joined us as well.  We made everything from scratch: whole wheat rolls that I kneaded two days early, stuffing from bread that we sliced and set in front of the woodstove to get stale, and cranberry sauce from whole berries.  Kevin brined the turkey for a day, with a special saltwater concoction involving peppercorns, sage, and brown sugar.  It was the best turkey I've ever had.  We spent the day playing games, giggling together, preparing things in the kitchen according to the schedule we had drawn up, and sipping mimosas.  We went through two Costco-sized bottles of champagne.

The next day, Ben had to work, so the three of us set out for a hike.  It had been warm and snow-less at home, but by the time we were at the trailhead, we were skidding around in 18 inches of snow.  Nobody had been on the trail since the fresh snow had fallen, so we set out trailblazing, which made the hike a real slog.  We had packed leftover sandwiches which were enjoyed with a view.  On the way back, we made two stops.  One to admire a herd of elk making their way in a field, and one to wander through the Red Sun Labyrinth, a bizarre and mystical place we happened upon by chance. 

And finally, a quick reminder that our sale is still on through the end of today.  There are some new earring designs that I posted this weekend, so be sure to take a look!

I'll be back again soon with a gift guide I've been putting together.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, that looks like the perfect thanksgiving! (complete with cat-in-a-weird-spot photo, haha!)

    i'm incredibly jealous you have so much snow there...it's bare + boring here, and i've been really craving a snowy day walk for almost 2 months now, sigh. again i'll have to live vicariously through you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love a big bite of that sandwich. It's lunch time... You have me missing snow.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!