04 January 2013

Lately





Our last season in Antarctica marked the beginning of some big changes, both for us and for the culture.  We were given strict uniform parameters which came as a big morale blow, as our department was known for having far too much fun with costumes.  We celebrated Casual Fridays, where guys would wear tights and leather vests... just tights and leather vests.  Someone cleaned all day in a giant Pooh costume.  There were hats, high heels, masks, face paint.  But then we were shut down with uniforms.  There was nothing written in the new code about shoelaces, so the first thing I did was order a pair of red ones.  The boots they adorned wore out pretty quickly - most things do down there - but I just discovered them and transferred my laces of protest to my hiking boots.  They have most certainly added a pep in my step right when I needed them.

For better or worse, K has perfected hollandaise sauce.  It's better for my mouth and worse for my thighs.

When K developed a passion for birding, I didn't think too much of it, and saw it for an opportunity to sit by ponds or in the woods and paint while he tiptoed around with binoculars glued to his eyes.  I've recently discovered that I have learned a lot through osmosis.  During our particularly glorious New Year's Day Bike Ride 2013, I saw a little bird swooping about before me, and knew right away it was a kestrel.  A year ago I had no idea what a kestrel was.  They're pretty dang cute.

A wonderful package from Lindsay came and brightened my day.  Thanks so much, friend!

What are you guys up to lately?

3 comments:

  1. hooray!! it came! :) i'm so glad you like it...(and how yummy is that lip shit? haha)

    i used to love going for walks with my dad...he's really into birds, as well (though not as a hobby, per se...he just likes being right about things), and so we'd walk around the paths and he'd tell me every bird's name that we saw, that he knew. he also taught me how to identify wild foods (raspberry, chives, etc.) that were growing by the sides of the road. anyway, i really miss those walks...and every time i see your lovely bird shots, i think "i really should get out there!" so maybe i will! 2013: year of the bird? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your shoelaces. what a fun way to remember good times you had in antarctica. i've been doing a lot of knitting and reading but yesterday, i was sick of being inside so we went on a good hike. the outdoors helped me feel balanced and really happy. that lip shit is hilarious! happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valuable info. Luckу mе I diѕcοvегeԁ your site unintеntionallу, and
    I am stunned why this coіnciԁencе diԁn't came about earlier! I bookmarked it.
    Also see my site: http://myearnmoneysite.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!